Saturday, February 16, 2013

OWH Virtual Card Making Party - Part 1

It is Presidents' Day Weekend and Operation Write home is having a Virtual Card Making Party.  I don't personally know very many card makers, so this is a great way for me to get some new ideas.  As the weekend progresses, I will be adding cards for the various challenges.
 
 
Saturday 8 a.m., Challenge #1 - The challenge was to use chevrons.  This cuttlebug folder is not exactly chevrons, but it is the closest that I have.  As you can tell from looking at my card I generally work in the CAS style.  I rarely get too busy.  This digi was free artwork from Sliekje.blogspot.com.  She has numerous darling animals available for free.
 
 
 
Saturday 11 a.m., Challenge #2 - This challenge involves the use of animals in a card.  I love this little giraffe; he is just too cute.  I had a hard time with this card.  I wanted to use the giraffe and the sentiments digis that I purchased from Clear Dollar Stamps.  However, after I inked the background paper and attached the giraffe, I tried different locations for the sentiment and the top corner was the only location that worked for me.  That left a large dead spot in the bottom right hand corner.  After trying several ribbons, I found that they just covered the giraffe's legs and that looked odd.  I realized that a sheer ribbon could really fill up the corner without intefering with the giraffe's legs.
 
 
 
Saturday 2 p.m., Challenge #3 - This challenge involves omitting texture or selective embossing.  This is something I have a explored just a little bit in the past.  However, I had completely forgotten about it.  For this card, I used an embossing folder from Hobby Lobby and two different spellbinder sets.  It is fun to emboss, but leave a portion clear.  I makes it easier to stamp a sentiment right on the card rather than have it be an attachment.
 
 
 
Saturday 5 p.m., Challenge #4 - This challenge is called Things With Wings.  So I pulled out a stamp set from Clear Dollar Stamps that has several animals, including a duck.  I love the sentiment Going Quackers Without You.  I used OWH Sketch #50, but eliminated the second strip at the bottom.  This card has very little contrast.  I may look at this later and say "That's what happens when you are trying to complete a challenge," but for now I am enjoying myself.
 
 
Saturday 8 p.m., Challenge #5 - This challenge is to use up a 12x12 page making six cards.  So here is the card I made six times.  I really liked the sample card, so I really just cased it.  I just got the twine and was looking for a way to use it.  Thank you for the terrific inspiration. 
 
 
Well, that was Part 1 of the OWH VCMP.  See you tomorrow!
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful cards. I love what you did with the selective embossing. Thanks for joining the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are all great! Wasn't it a fun day? You sure did a great job with the embossing. That one was the most challenging for me. I'll have to practice that technique a little more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice group of cards! My favorite is the Giraffe... the sheer ribbon is a great choice and I think you've positioned the sentiment perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of these! You've been busy. :) Thanks so much for participating in my Disappearing Act challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really put a lot of thought into your cards - they're all lovely. Your chevrons work for me and I love that sweet mouse you colored! Thanks for playing along with my challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You did such a great job with these challenges! It looks like you added some Glossy Accents or something glossy to the duck bill and feet! So cute! Thanks for playing along in my Things with Wings challenge for this weekend’s VCMP! I hope you had a good time! --Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on all of your cards, I love the giraffe!

    Thanks for playing along with my part of OWH VCMP.

    Hummer Hugs,
    Misty
    http://deliteful-gifts.blogspot.com/
    hummingbird204 at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete