Friday, March 8, 2013

Spirelli and Chocolate

I must be hungry because spirelli sounds like food to me right now... and who couldn't go for some chocolate right now!

I made two cards last night.  I found some great 12x12 paper stacks on clearance at Michael's yesterday, so I had to try them out.  They are both K & Company Sheer Simplicity stacks, Warm and Neutral.  Not to mention, the spirelli looked like fun. 

 
This is OWH Sketch #153.  I really love browns, so I decided to use some of the brown paper in my new Neutrals paper stack; both the patterned paper and the layer behind the digi are from this stack.  I needed a square sentiment so I pulled out this digi that Paula S. at http://www.paulaposts.blogspot.com/ created.  It is super cute with clean lines.  In the OWH Design Bootcamp about color in January, Paula wrote about color combinations.  Since I had picked out my brown, I looked at the color wheel and decided to go with complementary colors.  Brown is a shade of orange, so the complementary color would be a shade of blue.   (Shades are the pure color with black added.)  The blue stripes are 5/8 inch grosgrain ribbon from Details & Accessories that I picked up at Dollar Tree. 
 
 
 
This is OWH Sketch #154.  I was just getting to this sketch, so it seemed like a prime time to try the spirelli technique (info at http://operationwritehome.org/tutorial-spirelli/).  I tried out my new Warm stack on this card, the print and both violet papers.  The light green is just from my paper stash.  Once again, I decided to use the color wheel to set my colors.  I selected the paper for the scalloped circle which is essentially a violet tint.  (Tints are pure color plus white.)  I wanted to add some leaves to make the scalloped circle more obviously a flower, so I went with split complementary and added a yellow-green tint paper from my stash.  With split complementary there is a third color which is yellow-orange, so I added the printed paper that is behind the flowers.  The spirelli floss is We R Memory Keepers Sew Easy Floss and the sentiment is from Stampendous Perfectly Clear Stamps Posie Greetings.  I really enjoy this stamp set because it has an additional section of squiggly line for a landscape card, but is easy to shorten for smaller areas. 
 
Thanks for looking!

1 comment:

  1. I love the spirelli card! I may have to try iy out now!

    ReplyDelete